Day 20: October 20 - Midterm and Grooming

We did the mid-term again today. This time, if I remember right, we got a 16 on the bridge, 18 on the ground poles pattern, 20 on the tarp, 20 on the jump, 17 on the cones, and a 16 on the ground poles. So, we did do a little bit better, I just wish the bridge would have gone better. I shouldn't have gone down on points on it.






After I was done with Jack, I went and caught Poncho. I brought him in the arena and started working with him a little bit. Now I understand what Sylvia and Brother Twitchell mean. He had his ears pinned the entire time, and hated everything we were doing. Sylvia helped me with him some, and gave me some ideas on how to reward him.

I think the main thing I'm going to have to remember is that I have to reward everything he does. Even if it's just taking a few steps forward, I have to reward that. I have to make him realize that it can actually be fun to move, and to do things.

This afternoon, I also caught Poncho and just groomed him and loved on him for over an hour. I decided that if I just brushed him, and spent time with him, maybe it would be good for our relationship. I have to start over with him, and build a friendship so we can catch up quickly once I start riding him. I may be wrong, but I feel like bonding is very important in the effectiveness of your training.

No comments:

Post a Comment