Day 32: November 8 - Circles

Today we worked on circles in class. From my past experiences, and from class today, I've learned that circles are really important when you are training, showing, and just riding horses. When I was competing in horse shows in 4-H there wasn't one pattern that we did that didn't have a circle in it. And, when you are training a horse, if you can get them to consistently go in round, good circles, then you've finally succeeded in shaping there behavior, and in getting them to maintain their gait.

Although this all sounds really good, and it seems like I know what I'm talking about, applying it turns out to be much harder than I was anticipating. I don't think we got one good circle all day. The most frustrating part was that after we'd start doing pretty good, another horse would get in our way, or he'd start getting tired and I'd have to give him a break. Sometimes I really wish I didn't have such a short horse...He went back to kicking out or bucking some today once he started getting tired. : /

No comments:

Post a Comment